RUSSIA DELAYS ARTICLES ON WYNNE
JEREMY WOLFENDEN
Daily Telegraph Staff Correspondent
MOSCOW, Wednesday.
Russian officials told me that they are holding off publication of their material on Mr. Greville Wynne until they see the rest of his memoirs, which are being serialized in The Sunday Telegraph.
“We don’t want to use our big guns on sparrows,” they said. So far, they added, Mr. Wynne’s account of what had happened to him had been “objective”, or satisfactorily so to them. Their chief objection had been to his strictures on Russian prison food.
For most of his imprisonment he had been given the same food as Russian officers of the K.G.B., the Committee for State Security, or secret police, in their head office at Lubianka in the centre of Moscow.
If he complained about that, they said, the Russian officers had an equal complaint.
Material prepared
But they are awaiting the succeeding articles. If these contain more serious complaints, they will publish their own version of what Mr. Wynne said under interrogation.
They are not prepared to disclose for public consumption what they have against Mr. Wynne. Material has already been delivered to Russian newspapers, including Izvestia, the official organ of the Soviet Government. Their editors are awaiting the “green light” to publish it.
This will be given if the Russians consider that Mr. Wynne’s memoirs contain material that they must either deny or discredit. But, for the moment, they are holding their fire.