In this image from the 1920s or 1930s, Harold Langland (left) is driving a touring car with passengers Muriel B. Olson (center) and Helen Langland. The trio is approaching Jenny Lake as the Grand Teton rises over Cascade Canyon in the background. As automobiles became more popular in the early 20th century, Grand Teton National Park experienced an increase in visitors on driving vacations. (Courtesy Jackson Hole Historical Society and Museum; photograph by Richard A. Olson.)
ON THE COVER: The dudes pictured here are riding horseback at the Triangle X Ranch. In 1926, John S. and Maytie Turner purchased a homestead on Spread Creek, a favorite vacation spot of theirs. They raised cattle and built a few cabins to accommodate hunters. The Turners purchased an adjacent homestead and expanded their property in 1928. They secured an operating lease when they sold to the Snake River Land Company in 1929. In 1950, the ranch was incorporated into Grand Teton National Park with a concession permit. It is the only concession-operated dude ranch in the national park system and the oldest remaining dude ranch in Jackson Hole. Turner family descendants continue to operate the ranch today. (Courtesy Jackson Hole Historical Society and Museum.)