There is a lot more to Nashville than music, as you'll see in this chapter. Whether you are a longtime resident, a frequent visitor, or a first-timer, Nashville has a great mix of attractions to entertain and enlighten. In fact, we have so many great places to visit and so many fun things to do, we can't possibly list them all here. For that reason, we're highlighting some of the Nashville area's most popular attractions—the ones residents and tourists alike visit year after year. In this chapter we arrange attractions by the following categories: Historic Sites, Museums, Amusements & the Zoo, and Fun Transportation & Tours. Also, be sure to look in our Recreation, Music City, Annual Events, Entertainment, Kidstuff, and Shopping chapters for other fun and interesting places to visit in and around Nashville. Since fees and hours of operation are subject to change, it's a good idea to call before visiting the attractions listed in this chapter.
Price Code
Use the following as a guide to the cost of admission for 1 adult. Keep in mind that children's admission prices are generally lower (usually about half the cost of adult admission), and very young children are admitted free to most attractions. Discounts for senior citizens, students, and groups are usually available.
$ | Less than $8 |
$$ | $8 to $15 |
$$$ | $15 to $25 |
$$$$ | More than $25 |
BELLE MEADE PLANTATION, 5025 Harding, Rd., Nashville, TN 37205; (615) 356-0501; bellemeadeplantation.com; $$$. The Greek Revival mansion on this property was once the centerpiece of a 5,400-acre plantation known the world over as a thoroughbred farm and nursery. In 1807 John Harding and his wife, Susannah, purchased the property and in the 1920s began construction of the present-day Belle Meade (a French term meaning “beautiful meadow”) mansion, originally a 2-story, Federal-style farmhouse.
During the Civil War the Federal government took the horses for the army's use and removed the plantation's stone fences. Loyal slaves are said to have hidden the most prized thoroughbreds. The mansion was riddled with bullets during the Battle of Nashville (see our History chapter). After the war William Giles Harding and his son-in-law, Gen. William H. Jackson, expanded the farm. The stables housed many great horses, including Iroquois, winner of the English Derby in 1881. In the early 1900s Belle Meade was the oldest and largest thoroughbred farm in America. It enjoyed international prominence until 1904, when the land and horses were auctioned. The financial crisis of 1893, an excessive lifestyle, and the mishandling of family funds led to the downfall of Belle Meade. The mansion and 24 remaining acres were opened to the public in 1953, under the management of the Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities. The beautifully restored mansion is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is furnished with 19th-century antiques and art of the period. The site also includes the 1890s carriage house and stable filled with antique carriages; the 1790s log cabin (one of the oldest log structures in the state); and several other original outbuildings, including the smokehouse and mausoleum. Guides in period dress lead tours of the property. A Southern-inspired restaurant, Harding House, is a great place for lunch or weekend brunch. Belle Meade Plantation is open daily year-round except Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas, and New Year's Day.
i
The Nashville Visitor Information Center is located in the glass tower of Bridgestone Arena at Fifth Ave. N. and Broadway. You can find brochures, coupons, and discounted tickets to area attractions there. The center is open daily. For more information call (615) 259-4747 or visit visitmusiccity.com. Another Visitor Information Center is located in the tower level of Regions Bank Building at Fourth Ave. N. and Commerce St., (615) 259-4730.
BELMONT MANSION, 1700 Acklen Ave., Nashville, TN 37212; (615) 460-5459; belmontmansion.com; $$. Belmont Mansion was built in 1850 as the summer home of Joseph and Adelicia Acklen. The beautiful and aristocratic Adelicia was said to have been the wealthiest woman in America during the mid-1800s. She owned more than 50,000 acres of land in Louisiana, Texas, and Tennessee, all of which she inherited after her first husband, wealthy businessman Isaac Franklin, died in 1846. Her wealth placed her in the top half of 1 percent of antebellum society. The Italianate villa is furnished in original and period pieces, including gilded mirrors, marble statues, and art that Adelicia collected as she traveled the world. A 105-foot water tower, which still stands, irrigated the gardens and provided water for the fountains. Also on the property were a greenhouse and conservatory, an art gallery, gazebos, a bowling alley, a bear house, a deer park, and a zoo. Adelicia opened the gardens as a public park.
i
Iroquois, a horse bred at Belle Meade Plantation, was the first American winner of the English Derby in 1881. Such modern thoroughbreds as Secretariat trace their bloodlines to Iroquois.
BICENTENNIAL CAPITOL MALL, 600 James Robertson Parkway, Nashville, TN 37243; (615) 741-5280; tnstateparks.com; free. This 19-acre downtown attraction offers a trip through Tennessee history. It opened in 1996 to commemorate the state's bicentennial. A 200-foot granite map of the state, 31 fountains designating Tennessee's major rivers, and a Pathway of History are among the attractions. The mall also offers a great view of the Tennessee State Capitol. (See our Recreation and Kidstuff chapters for more information.)
CANNONSBURGH VILLAGE, 312 S. Front St., Murfreesboro, TN 37219; (615) 890-0355; murfreesborotn.gov; free. Get a glimpse of what life was like in the 1800s at this reconstructed pioneer village. The village features restored original buildings such as a church, general store, guest house, and gristmill from Rutherford and other Middle Tennessee counties. There is also an art league exhibit, a historical Murfreesboro exhibit, and displays of antique farm equipment and automobiles. The giant cedar bucket situated near the village entrance is the world's largest—it holds 1,566 gallons. Self-guided tours are free. The buildings are open Tues through Sun from May 1 through Dec 1; the grounds are open year-round.
CARNTON PLANTATION, 1345 Eastern Flank Circle, Franklin, TN 37064; (615) 794-0903; boft. org; $$. This 1826 antebellum plantation was built by Randal McGavock, who was Nashville's mayor in 1824 and 1825. The late-neoclassical plantation house is considered architecturally and historically one of the most important buildings in the area. In its early years the mansion was a social and political center. Among the prominent visitors attending the many social events there were Andrew Jackson, Sam Houston, and James K. Polk.
The home was used as a Confederate hospital after the bloody Battle of Franklin on November 30, 1864. The Confederates lost at least 12 generals during the battle. The bodies of four of the generals were laid out on the mansion's back porch. At that time Carnton was the home of McGavock's son, Col. John McGavock, and his wife, Carrie Winder McGavock. In 1866 the McGavock family donated 2 acres adjacent to their family cemetery for the burial of some 1,500 Southern solders. The McGavock Confederate Cemetery is the country's largest private Confederate cemetery. Carnton Plantation is open daily.
Southern Belle Lived at Belmont
The dark-eyed beauty seemed a real-life Scarlett O'Hara. And, like the southern belle in Gone With the Wind, nothing could protect this woman from great tragedy and sorrow. At Belmont Mansion, visitors can see reflections of the woman who once lived in this antebellum Tennessee home and hear the tale of her bittersweet life.
“She had everything,” said Mark Brown, director of Belmont Mansion. “She became one of America's wealthiest women, but she also had such sadness.”
Born on the Ides of March in 1817 to a prominent Nashville family, Adelicia Hayes was said to be an accomplished horsewoman who preferred to jump a fence rather than open a gate. She was described as marrying first for money, second for love, and third because she could.
At age 22, Adelicia wed a wealthy businessman and planter 28 years her senior, Isaac Franklin. During their seven years of marriage, they had four children—all of whom died by age 11. A son died at birth and three daughters died of simple childhood illnesses.
When her husband died in 1846, Adelicia was left a wealthy widow. “In the 1840s, she was said to have a net worth of almost $1 million,” Brown said. “That was a tremendous amount of money in those days.”
Three years later, she married the man said to be the love of her life. Joseph Acklen was handsome and socially acceptable, but somewhat lacking financially. However, Adelicia didn't let her heart overrule her head. “Her second husband had to sign a prenuptial agreement,” Brown said. “But he ended up turning that $1 million estimated wealth into $3 million.”
Soon after their marriage, the Acklens began building Belmont Mansion. Constructed in the style of an Italian villa, the mansion was set in elaborate gardens with numerous outbuildings. The water tower, still standing, provided irrigation for the gardens and water to run the fountains.
The grounds also contained a 200-foot-long greenhouse and conservatory, an art gallery, gazebos, a bowling alley, bear house, and zoo. “It was built to be a summer home, not a working plantation,” Brown said.
Since the city had no public park, Adelicia opened her summer home to the citizens of Nashville every day except Sunday. Then tragedy struck again.
Adelicia's only surviving child from her previous marriage died, as did her 2-year-old twins, who passed away from scarlet fever within days of each other in 1855. The remaining four Acklen children survived to maturity—but without their father.
Adelicia's husband died of malaria during the Civil War, leaving 2,800 bales of Acklen cotton threatened by both Union and Confederate troops. Hearing that her cotton was about to be confiscated or burned, Adelicia hurried to Louisiana and outsmarted both the Confederates and the Yankees by smuggling her cotton to England. There it brought nearly $1 million in gold, which she deposited into a British bank account and reclaimed after the war.
During the Battle of Nashville in December 1864, Belmont became the headquarters of a Federal general and his troops camped out on the lawn of the estate. Adelicia spent that time as the guest of her old friend, Mrs. James Polk, widow of the former president of the United States.
When she returned to Belmont, Adelicia found much destruction but the interior of her home was still intact. At the age of 50, Adelicia married for a third time to Nashville physician William Cheatham. But this marriage proved to be less than a charm. Soon Adelicia began spending most of her time in Washington, DC, with her only surviving daughter, Pauline. By 1887, Adelicia was busy building a home in Washington. While shopping for home furnishings in New York City, the 70-year-old caught pneumonia and died in a Fifth Avenue hotel.
“She was the original ‘shop ‘til you drop’ personification,” Brown said. Adelicia's body was returned to Nashville for burial in the family mausoleum. Two ladies from Philadelphia bought Belmont in 1890 and opened a women's school. Later merging with Nashville's old Ward Seminary, it was renamed Ward-Belmont and operated as an academy and junior college for women. In 1951, it became Belmont College, a co-educational, church-related college.
Today, visitors can tour the 15 restored rooms of Belmont Mansion and see the Victorian opulence with original and period pieces, gilded mirrors, marble statues, and paintings.
Even such decorations as a collection of seashells were of great importance in Adelicia's day, Brown said, pointing to the shell arrangement prominently displayed on a table.
“Seashells were very much a status display,” Brown said. “They meant that you had wealth to travel to the seashore.”
FONTANEL MANSION & FARM, 4225 Whites Creek Pike, Nashville, TN 37189; (615) 724-1610; fontanelmansion.com; $$$. Jesse James hid out here. The Confederate Cavalry used it for a gathering site. And entertainer Barbara Mandrell chose it for her log cabin home. With a wealth of history behind it, the Fontanel Mansion and Farm started a new chapter in its long life when it was opened to the public in June 2010. Located less than 15 minutes from downtown Nashville, the place has grown to be an entertainment center with the Inn at Fontanel offering 6 suites, the Woods at Fontanel featuring concerts, White's Creek Bistro, Music City Zipline, Natchez Hills Winery, Prichard's Distillery, Cafe Fontanella, Fontanel Records, the Farm House shop, and walking trails.
Formerly owned by County Music Hall of Fame member Barbara Mandrell, the Fontanel Mansion boasts 3 stories, more than 20 rooms, 13 bathrooms, 5 fireplaces, 2 kitchens, an indoor pool, and even an indoor shooting range on 136 acres of pristine land. The mansion also is filled to the brim with photos, memorabilia, and personal items from when the Mandrell family lived here. Guests are invited to touch, see, feel, and relax in this magnificent home.
FORT NASHBOROUGH, 170 First Ave. N., Nashville, TN 37201; (615) 862-8400 (Parks Department); nashville.gov/parks; free. On the banks of the Cumberland River at Riverfront Park stands the reconstruction of the original settlement of Nashville. The original log fort was built slightly north of this location by James Robertson when he and his party first settled in the area in 1779 (see our History chapter). It occupied about 2 acres of land on a bluff overlooking the river. Named in honor of Gen. Francis Nash, who was killed during the Revolutionary War, the fort is where early Nashvillians met and adopted the Cumberland Compact for government of the new settlement. In 1930 the Daughters of the American Revolution sponsored the construction of a replica of the original structure near the site of Fort Nashborough. Reopening in the summer of 2015, the fort underwent a $1 million project to make it more visitor friendly. It now features an open plaza with contemporary elements such as touch screens allowing visitors a glimpse at the lifestyle of Nashville's first settlers. The fort is open to the public for self-guided tours daily, weather permitting.
HATCH SHOW PRINT, 224 Fifth Ave. S., Nashville, TN 37203; (615) 577-7710; hatchshowprint. com; $$. Founded in 1879 in downtown Nashville, Hatch Show Print is the oldest working letterpress print shop in America. For years the shop produced promotional handbills and posters for vaudeville acts, circuses, sporting events, and minstrel shows throughout the Southeast, but it is best known for its posters of Grand Ole Opry stars. From 1925 to 1991 it was on Fourth Avenue N., near the Ryman Auditorium; it relocated a few times before settling at its current site in the Fifth Ave. lobby of the Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum in 2013. Today Hatch finds its letterpress.
posters and designs in constant demand. The shop continues to create posters and art for such clients as Nike, the Jack Daniel's Distillery, local bands, and national recording artists, including Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen. One wall of the tiny space is lined with thousands of wood and metal blocks of type used to produce posters. Tours are offered at 12:30, 2, and 3 p.m. with visitors making their own commemorative posters. Or take home a sample of Hatch's product from the gift shop. Hatch is open daily.
THE HERMITAGE: HOME OF PRESIDENT ANDREW JACKSON, 4580 Rachel's Lane, Nashville, TN 37076; (615) 889-2941; thehermitage.com; $$$. A tour of the Hermitage offers insight into one of America's most interesting presidents, as well as a look at life on a 19th-century plantation. Andrew Jackson, seventh president of the United States and hero of the Battle of New Orleans, lived and died here. The Hermitage was first built in 1821 as a Federal-style brick home. It was enlarged in 1831, then rebuilt in Greek Revival style, as it appears today. A National Historic Landmark, managed since 1889 by the Ladies’ Hermitage Association, the mansion has been restored to the period of Jackson's retirement in 1837. It contains a large collection of original furnishings and personal belongings, including furniture, porcelain, silver, and rare French wallpaper. Jackson filled the house with elegant and sophisticated pieces from the same dealers who supplied the White House. At the north border is the original “necessary house.” The southeast corner of the garden contains the Jacksons’ tomb. Rachel died December 22, 1828, weeks before Jackson was inaugurated as president. Jackson is said to have visited the tomb every evening while he lived at the Hermitage. Jackson died in his bedroom on June 8, 1845. Per his directions, he was buried next to his wife. Other members of his family are buried next to the Jackson Tomb. On the other side of the tomb is the grave of Alfred, a slave who lived at the property all his life and was Jackson's devoted servant. Other historic structures on the grounds include the original cabins where the Jacksons lived from 1804 to 1821, the Old Hermitage Church, an original slave cabin, a smokehouse, a springhouse, and a kitchen.
At the visitor center you can get a quick bite at the Kitchen Cabinet Cafe and browse for gifts at the Hermitage Museum Store. The Hermitage is open daily. It is closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas.
i
Legend has it that Andrew Jackson built the driveway at the Hermitage to please his daughter-in-law Emily. The tornadoes that struck Nashville in 1998 destroyed hundreds of trees along the driveway, and more than 1,000 on the property. The trees were more than 2 centuries old.
Carter House … The Most Battle-Damaged Building from the Civil War
After almost 3 years serving with Confederate troops in the Civil War, Capt. Tod Carter was going home. The young officer had a furlough and was looking forward to seeing his family again. As with many soldiers, Carter had been through hell. An attorney and a Master Mason, Carter had enlisted and participated in most of the Army of Tennessee battles. He had been captured at Chattanooga on November 25, 1863, but had escaped from a prison train in Pennsylvania in February 1864 and quickly rejoined his troop. Now he had furlough papers in hand and was headed home.
Carter had no idea that the battleground for one of the most horrific fights of the Civil War would take place right at his own home. The Carter House, built in 1830 by Fountain Branch Carter, was caught in the swirling center of one of the bloodiest battles of the War Between the States.
“They said the ground ran red with blood,” said Gillum. “It was one of the most fiercely contested battles of the war. It was a complete slaughter…. We are not here to glorify death but to glorify their lives.”
The morning of November 30, 1864, dawned a beautiful Indian summer day. At sunrise the Confederate army marched north from Spring Hill in pursuit of fleeing Union forces. General Hood was determined to destroy the Union army before it reached Nashville.
The two forces collided in the Battle of Franklin. Hood sent his Confederates across 2 miles of open fields against the Union front. The Carter House sat directly in the center between the two lines of headlong combat.
Called “The Gettysburg of the West,” Franklin was one of the few night battles in the Civil War, beginning about 4 p.m. and ending around 9 p.m. It was also one of the smallest battlefields of the war—only 2 miles long and 1.5 miles wide. “The smoke from the cannons and guns was so thick you could hardly tell friend from foe,” Gillum said.
During the battle the Carter family took refuge in their basement. Their home was commandeered by the Union Maj. Gen. John M. Schofield for his headquarters. The head of the family, 67-year-old widower Fountain Branch Carter, and 22 other men, women, and children (many under age 12), barricaded themselves in the basement while the horrible cries of war rang out above them.
Federal soldiers used the front bedroom and parlor as sniping positions while they fired their muskets at the enemy, who returned fire from the far side of the barn and icehouse. Not one brick in the south wall of the kitchen seems to have escaped a bullet hole.
“Sometime after midnight, they realized that the sounds of war had stopped,” Gillum said. Since. Tod Carter had not come home, the family feared that he was dead or wounded. His commander told the family where the young man had last been seen. Tod Carter had been heard to cry out, “Follow me, boys, I'm almost home.” With a 9-year-old niece carrying the lantern, the four family members found Tod Carter.
He and his horse had been shot down in a small locust grove about 170 yards southwest of his birthplace. “He had probably played in that grove of trees as a child,” Gillum said. Carter had sustained eight or nine bullet wounds, and it was a miracle he was still alive. Carter had likely been wounded at about 4:30 p.m. when the battle first started, and he wasn't found until about 4:30 a.m.
“After 12 hours of bleeding, he had probably lost too much blood,” Gillum said. “The family carried him back home and his 9-year-old niece held the lantern while a bullet was removed from the back of his eye.”
Two days later, Carter was dead. He was 24 years old. “He was buried in the last casket available in Franklin,” Gillum said.
The unofficial count was about 7,500 Confederate and about 2,500 Union casualties. “It's hard to have an exact count of the wounded and casualties because so many of the wounded didn't seek medical attention and marched on to fight in Nashville,” Gillum said.
After the battle, the parlor of the Carter House was converted into a Confederate field hospital and witnessed many surgeries and amputations. In fact, soldiers would be dying for decades afterward from wounds they received at the Battle of Franklin. “As late as the 1920s, men were dying of complications from wounds they had received in this battle,” Gillum said.
The Army of Tennessee died at Franklin on November 30, 1864, Gillum said. “It was a fight they would never recover from. I think that's why Fountain Branch Carter decided not to repair the bullet holes in his house and buildings. He realized that this was hallowed ground. He wanted people to remember what had happened here and know this was where Americans had shed their blood.”
The evidence of over 1,000 bullet holes remains on the site, including the most battle-damaged building from the Civil War. A small 10-by-15-foot building had 167 bullet holes. For more information, contact the Carter House at (615) 791-1861.
HISTORIC MANSKER'S STATION, 705 Caldwell Dr., Goodlettsville, TN 37072; (615) 859-3678; cityofgoodlettsville.org; $$. Bowen Plantation House and Mansker's Station are at this site. The 2-story, Federal-style house, built in 1787, is the oldest brick home in Middle Tennessee. It was built by Revolutionary War veteran and Indian fighter William Bowen, who brought his family to the area in 1785. He received the land as partial compensation for his military service and later expanded the plantation from 640 acres to more than 4,000. In 1807 William Bowen Campbell was born here. He fought in the Seminole War and the Mexican War and served as Tennessee's 15th governor from 1851 to 1853 and a member of Congress in 1855. The restored house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. About 200 yards from the house is Mansker's Station, a reconstruction of a 1779 frontier fort where Kasper Mansker lived. Mansker is considered Goodlettsville's first citizen. Living-history encampments held here several weekends a year offer demonstrations of frontier skills such as hide tanning, soap making, blacksmithing, butter churning, and fireside cookery. Historic interpreters in period clothing provide tours daily from the first week of Mar through the first week of Dec.
HISTORIC ROCK CASTLE, 139 Rock Castle Ln., Hendersonville, TN 37075; (615) 824-0502; historicrockcastle.com; $. The late-18th-century house on the shores of Old Hickory Lake was at one time the center of a 3,140-acre plantation, home of senator and Revolutionary War veteran Daniel Smith and his family. Today the property occupies 18 acres and includes the furnished 7-room limestone house, a smokehouse, and the family cemetery. Other buildings were claimed by the creation of Old Hickory Lake in the 1950s. Smith, a well-known surveyor of the North Carolina (now Tennessee) boundaries and of Davidson County, made the first map of the area. Some say he gave the state its name as well, adopting the Cherokee word Tanasie, which may have meant “where the rivers tangle together.” (However, accounts of who named the state, and the meaning of the Cherokee word from which the name was taken, vary quite a bit.) Smith and his wife, Sarah, are buried in the family cemetery. You can learn more about the family and the property on a guided tour. Stop first at the visitor center for an orientation. There's a gift shop that sells souvenirs and items representative of the period. The attraction is open daily Tues through Sat from Feb through Dec. Open Sun as well from Apr through Nov.
NASHVILLE CITY CEMETERY, 1001 Fourth Ave. S. at Oak Street, Nashville, TN 37203; (661) 661-6161; thenashvillecitycemetery. org; free. This cemetery was opened January 1, 1822, making it Nashville's oldest remaining public cemetery. It's also one of the few cemeteries in the state listed as an individual property on the National Register of Historic Places. There are some 23,000 graves here, including the graves of many early settlers, whose remains were brought here for permanent burial. Many graves are unmarked. Among the notables buried here are Nashville founder Gen. James Robertson (1742–1814) and Capt. William Driver (1803–1886), who named the American flag “Old Glory.” Three Civil War generals are also buried here: Maj. Gen. Bushrod Johnson (1817–1880), hero of the Battle of Chickamauga; and Lt. Gen. Richard S. Ewell (1817–1872), a commander at the Battle of Gettysburg. In 1878 city officials voted to allow only descendants of owners with unfilled plots to be buried here. This policy is still in place. Metal markers containing historical information are located throughout the grounds. The cemetery is open daily. Cemetery records are in the Tennessee State Library and Archives at 403 Seventh Ave. N. (615-741-2764). (See our Annual Events chapter for more about the cemetery.)
OAKLANDS HISTORIC HOUSE MUSEUM, 900 N. Maney Ave., Murfreesboro, TN 37130; (615) 893-0022; oaklandsmuseum.org; $$. One of the most elegant antebellum homes in Middle Tennessee, this house began around 1815 as a 1-story brick home built by the Maney family. The family enlarged the house with a Federal-style addition in the early 1820s and made further changes in the 1830s. The last addition was the ornate Italianate facade, completed in the 1850s. Oaklands was the center of a 1,500-acre plantation. Union and Confederate armies alternately occupied the house during the Civil War. On July 13, 1862, Confederate general Nathan Bedford Forrest led a raid here, surprising the Union commander at Oaklands. The surrender was negotiated here. In December 1862 Confederate president Jefferson Davis boarded at Oaklands while visiting nearby troops. Stop by the visitor center for a video orientation before beginning your tour. There is a gift shop on the property. The house is open Tues through Sun, except on major holidays.
PRINTERS ALLEY, Between Church and Union and Third and Fourth Avenues, Nashville, TN 37219; theprintersalley.com; free. Once the center of Nashville's nightlife, Printers Alley was originally home to Nashville's publishing and printing industry. Speakeasies sprang up here during Prohibition. During the 1940s, nightclubs opened. You could come here to catch performances by such stars as Boots Randolph, Chet Atkins, Dottie West, and Hank Williams. Today you'll find several nightspots here, including the Bourbon Street Blues & Boogie Bar.
RYMAN AUDITORIUM, 116 Fifth Ave. N., Nashville, TN 37219; (615) 889-3060 (reservations, tickets); ryman.com; $$. The legendary Ryman Auditorium (see also our History and Music City chapters) was home of the Grand Ole Opry from 1943 to 1974. Today the Ryman hosts concerts by country, bluegrass, pop, rock, classical, and gospel artists and special engagements of the Grand Ole Opry. The Ryman also has hosted several musical productions in recent years. Its excellent acoustics have made it a popular spot among recording artists such as Bruce Springsteen, Merle Haggard, Bob Dylan, and Sheryl Crow.
Schermerhorn Symphony Center
Comparable to the greatest music halls in the world, the $120-million Schermerhorn Symphony Center opened in 2006 as an acoustic masterpiece. Located on a city block between Third and Fourth Avenues S., the center is home to the Nashville Symphony Orchestra. It was named in honor of the late Kenneth Schermerhorn, music director and conductor of the orchestra. The center houses the Laura Turner Concert Hall, named in honor of the mother of Nashville symphony supporters Cal Jr. and Steve Turner.
Designed by architect David M. Schwarz, the 197,000-square-foot center has 30 soundproof windows above the hall, making it one of the only major concert halls in North America with natural light. The Schermerhorn design was inspired by some of the world's great concert halls, many of which were built in Europe in the late 19th century. The result is a sophisticated and modern building that is neoclassically inspired, with a classic limestone exterior and columns.
The shoebox-shaped hall seats 1,860 patrons. During symphony performances, the seats are ramped in a theater-style layout. During Pops performances and for receptions or banquets, however, the seats can be transported to a storage area by an elevator. In 1 to 2 hours, the configuration can change from ramped seating to a flat parquet floor, making it the only building in the world with this ability. Behind the orchestra are 140 seats for choral performances. The seats can be sold to the public when there is no chorus.
The Nashville Symphony performs more than 100 classical, Pops, and special-events concerts in the Schermerhorn each season. Recitals, choral concerts, cabaret, jazz, and world music events also will be presented. The center also features the Mike Curb Family Music Education Hall, which is home to the symphony's ongoing education initiatives. Another highlight of the building is a garden and cafe, enclosed by a colonnade. The garden is open to the public throughout the day and during concerts. For more information contact the Schermerhorn Symphony Center at (615) 687-6400.
The building was originally called the Union Gospel Tabernacle. Riverboat captain Thomas Ryman, inspired by the preaching of evangelist Sam Jones, built the facility in 1892 as a site for Jones's revivals and other religious gatherings. It soon became a popular venue for theatrical and musical performances and political rallies. The building was renamed to honor Ryman after his death in 1904. Though it wasn't the first home of the Grand Ole Opry, which began in 1925, the Ryman earned the nickname “the Mother Church of Country Music.” For 31 years the live Opry radio show originated from this building. Country legends such as Hank Williams, Roy Acuff, and Patsy Cline performed on the stage. While fans packed the wooden pews, others tuned in to their radios to hear the live broadcast. When the Opry moved to the new Grand Ole Opry House at Opryland USA, the Ryman became a tourist attraction, and the building was used as a backdrop in such films as Nashville, Coal Miner's Daughter, and Sweet Dreams.
The Ryman remains a top tourist destination. Individuals and groups stop here daily to tour the building. Various exhibits and displays tell about the Ryman and country music history. Audiovisual displays on the main floor feature a variety of memorabilia. An interactive unit downstairs is popular with kids. Self-guided and guided tours are available 7 days a week. A concession stand and gift shop are on-site.
SAM DAVIS HOME HISTORIC SITE, 1399 Sam Davis Rd., Smyrna, TN 37167; (615) 459-2341; samdavishome. org; $$. This Greek Revival home, built around 1820 and enlarged around 1850, sits on 169 acres of the original 1,000-acre farm that was the home of Sam Davis. Davis, called the “Boy Hero of the Confederacy,” enlisted in the Confederate army at the age of 19. He served as a courier, and while transporting secret papers to Gen. Braxton Bragg in Chattanooga, he was captured by Union forces, tried as a spy, and sentenced to hang. The trial officer was so impressed with Davis's honesty and sense of honor that he offered him freedom if he would reveal the source of military information he was caught carrying. Davis is reported to have responded, “If I had a thousand lives I would give them all gladly rather than betray a friend.” He was hanged in Pulaski, Tennessee, on November 27, 1863. The home is a typical upper-middle-class farmhouse of the period. A tour of the property also includes outbuildings. The home is open daily. Closed holidays. January tours by appointment only.
STONES RIVER NATIONAL BATTLEFIELD, 3501 Old Nashville Hwy., Murfreesboro, TN 37129; (615) 893-9501; nps.gov/stri; free. One of the bloodiest Civil War battles took place at this site between December 31, 1862, and January 2, 1863. More than 83,000 men fought in the battle; nearly 28,000 were killed or wounded. Both the Union army, led by Gen. William S. Rosecrans, and the Confederate army, led by Gen. Braxton Bragg, claimed victory. However, on January 3, 1863, Bragg retreated 40 miles to Tullahoma, Tennessee, and Rosecrans took control of Murfreesboro. The Union constructed a huge supply base within Fortress Rosecrans, the largest enclosed earthen fortification built during the war. The battlefield today appears much as it did during the Battle of Stones River. Most of the points of interest can be reached on the self-guided auto tour. Numbered markers identify the stops, and short trails and exhibits explain the events at each site. Stop first at the visitor center. An audiovisual program and museum will introduce you to the battle. During summer, artillery and infantry demonstrations and talks about the battle take place. The park is administered by the National Park Service and is open daily except Christmas.
TENNESSEE STATE CAPITOL, 600 Charlotte Ave., Nashville, TN 37243; (615) 741-1621; tn.gov/; free. Free guided tours of the Tennessee State Capitol are provided throughout the day Mon through Fri at designated times by the staff of the Tennessee State Museum. Tours depart from the information desk on the first floor. If you prefer to take a self-guided tour, pick up a brochure at the information desk. When the legislature is in session, the capitol's hours of operation are extended if either the House of Representatives or the Senate is still in session. On legislative meeting days, visitors can view the Senate and House from their galleries, which are accessed by the second-floor stairwells.
The Greek Revival–style building was begun in 1845 and completed in 1859. Its architect, William Strickland of Philadelphia, began his career as an apprentice to Benjamin Latrobe, architect of the US Capitol in Washington, DC. Strickland died before the Tennessee State Capitol was completed and, per his wishes, was buried in the northeast wall of the building near the north entrance. Strickland's son, Francis Strickland, supervised construction until 1857 when Englishman Harvey Akeroyd designed the state library, the final portion of the building.
The capitol stands 170 feet above the highest hill in downtown Nashville. On the eastern slope of the grounds is the tomb of President and Mrs. James K. Polk and a bronze equestrian statue of President Andrew Jackson. The Tennessee State Capitol is open Mon through Fri but is closed on holidays. Parking is available at metered spaces around the capitol complex or in public parking lots downtown.
TRAVELLERS REST PLANTATION HOUSE AND GROUNDS, 636 Farrell Pkwy., Nashville, TN 37220; (615) 832-8197; travellersrestplantation.org; $$. Travellers Rest was built in 1799 by Judge John Overton, a land speculator, lawyer, cofounder of Memphis, and presidential campaign manager for lifelong friend Andrew Jackson. The Federal-style clapboard farmhouse offers a glimpse of how wealthy Nashvillians lived in the early 19th century. The well-maintained grounds feature magnolia trees, gardens, and outbuildings. The house began as a 2-story, 4-room house, but additions throughout the 1800s increased its size. Changes in architectural styles are evident in the expansions. It has been restored to reflect the period of the original owner and features a large collection of early-19th-century Tennessee furniture. The home served as headquarters for Confederate general John B. Hood just before the 1864 Battle of Nashville. Overton's son John had financed a Confederate regiment during the war. The Overton family owned the house until 1948. Its last owner, the Nashville Railroad Company, gave the home to the Colonial Dames of America in Tennessee, which manages it as a historic site. Today Travellers Rest is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Travellers Rest is open Mon through Sat; closed holidays.
ADVENTURE SCIENCE CENTER & SUDEKUM PLANETARIUM, 800 Fort Negley Blvd., Nashville, TN 37203; (615) 862-5160; adventuresci.com; $$. A fun place to learn and explore, this museum, formerly known as the Cumberland Science Museum, features exhibits on nature, the universe, health, and more. Since the museum opened in 1973, it has been entertaining and educating children and adults with more than 100 hands-on exhibits, live animal shows, science demonstrations, a planetarium, and traveling exhibits. The first floor for the Space Chase wing includes 2 primary exhibit galleries—Solar System Survey and Test Bed. Solar System Survey invites visitors to explore the solar system with a 3D walk through the universe. The 2-story-high Test Bed features a Moon Walker, which allows visitors to feel like they are walking on the moon or other planets, and a Space Climber, which simulates the experience of astronauts working in space. It is open daily except major holidays. (For more information see the listing in our Kidstuff chapter.)
CHEEKWOOD BOTANICAL GARDEN & MUSEUM OF ART, 1200 Forrest Park Dr., Nashville, TN 37205; (615) 356-8000; cheekwood.org; $$. This magnificent 1929 mansion, surrounded by 55 acres of botanical gardens, lawns, and fountains, is one of Nashville's favorite attractions. It was once the private estate of the Leslie Cheek family. Cheek was the cousin and business associate of Joel Cheek, founder of Maxwell House coffee. In 1960 the family gave the estate to the nonprofit Tennessee Botanical Gardens and Fine Arts Center. Today the mansion houses the Museum of Art, a prestigious collection of 19th- and 20th-century American art as well as major traveling art exhibits (see the Arts chapter). The 3-story neo-Georgian mansion was built with Tennessee limestone quarried on the property. The house sits atop a hill surrounded by formal gardens designed by Cheekwood architect Bryant Fleming. The gardens feature marble sculptures, water gardens, and bubbling streams. The design includes an award-winning wildflower garden, an herb garden, a perennial garden, a traditional Japanese garden, and a dogwood trail. Along the border of the property is the Woodland Sculpture Trail, a mile-long trail featuring more than a dozen sculptures by artists from around the world.
Cheekwood's Botanic Hall features horticultural exhibits, flower shows, and the annual Season of Celebration holiday show. Inside the main gate are the Pineapple Room Restaurant, offering regional cuisine, and the Cheekwood Museum Gift Shop. Cheekwood is open Tues through Sun. It is closed Mon and the second Sat in June, as well as major holidays.
COOTER'S PLACE, 2613 McGavock Pike, Nashville, TN 37214; (615) 872-8358; cootersplace. com; free. Dukes of Hazzard fans remember him as “Cooter,” the good ole boy sidekick of the Duke boys on the beloved TV show. Cooter is actually actor Ben Jones, who operates this combination museum and theme store featuring all things Hazzard. Visitors can get their photos made in the snazzy 1969 Dodge Charger, the General Lee. Also displayed are Cooter's tow truck, Daisy's Jeep, and Rosco's patrol car. The free museum offers pictures, props, and costumes from the show. The gift shop carries T-shirts, hats, toys, DVDs, Dixie air horns, and other items. Check the schedule for upcoming events to see when Cooter and other cast members might be in the shop for autographs.
COUNTRY MUSIC HALL OF FAME & MUSEUM, 222 Fifth Ave. S. Nashville, TN 37203; (615) 416-2001 or (800) 852-6437; countrymusichalloffame.org; $$$. The Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum is one of Nashville's premier attractions. Originally located in a barn-shaped building on Music Row, the museum opened in its $37-million home at Fifth Avenue S. and Demonbreun Street in May 2001. In 2014, the family unveiled a $100-million expansion, which doubled its size to 350,000 square feet. The expansion included the 800-seat CMA Theater, Taylor Swift Education Center, Fred and Dinah Gretsch Family Gallery, and relocation of the historic Hatch Show Print to the facility, plus the addition of a restaurant, shops, and event spaces. The facility takes up an entire city block and boasts exhibit space devoted to the history of country music. As you walk through the museum, you'll view music memorabilia, hear clips of country recordings past and present, and learn about the music and its performers. The museum is accredited by the American Association of Museums, certifying that it operates according to the highest standards (fewer than 10 percent of the nation's 8,000 museums are accredited by the association). The museum is open daily except Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day. (For more about the museum, see our Music City chapter.)
FRIST CENTER FOR THE VISUAL ARTS, 919 Broadway, Nashville, TN 37203; (615) 244-3340; fristcenter.org; $$. The Frist Center is Nashville's premier art museum. Housed in downtown Nashville's historic former main post office building, the center has approximately 24,000 square feet of gallery space. Its changing lineup of exhibits includes works by renowned artists that are on loan from galleries around the world. The center is dedicated to education, with a goal of making art accessible and interesting to people of all ages and from all backgrounds. Educational outreach efforts include lectures, concerts, films, gallery talks, and youth and family programs on the center's exhibits and related topics. The Frist Center is open daily except Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day. (See our Entertainment chapter for more details.)
GEORGE JONES MUSEUM, 128 Second Ave. N., Nashville, TN 37201; (615) 818-0128; georgejonesmuseum.com; $$$. The legendary “Possum” now has a museum in downtown Nashville. Opened in 2015, the George Jones Museum offers a wealth of memorabilia and personal information about the beloved star. From his birth on September 12, 1931, in Saratoga, Texas, to his death from respiratory failure on April 26, 2013, the museum traces Jones’ life with artifacts big and small. Nancy Jones, who married the singer in 1983, said she saved everything she could and promised her husband that she would carry on his legacy. On display are instruments, stage outfits, photos, a football autographed by O.J. Simpson, the couple's wedding rings, Jones's green John Deere riding lawn mower, his favorite cherry red truck, and much more. Even his ill-fated marriage to Tammy Wynette has an exhibit. Visitors are invited to relax in rocking chairs—a nod to Jones's hit, “I Don't Need No Rockin’ Chair”—and watch film clips of his life and performances. The facility also has a gift shop, Possum Holler Cafe, and Martins BBQ Rooftop Bar. The cafe and the bar both offer great views of Nashville.
LANE MOTOR MUSEUM, 702 Murfreesboro Pike, Nashville, TN 37210; (615) 742-7445; lanemotormuseum.org; $$. Opened in 2003, this museum has vehicles that probably wouldn't be seen anywhere else—and most of them are in working condition. Cars that fold in half, drive in the water, lift themselves for a tire change, or open at the top with an airplane-style hatch are just a few of the more than 150 vehicles collected by automobile enthusiast Jeff Lane. The collection is regularly rotated to keep the exhibit fresh for returning guests.
MUSICIANS HALL OF FAME & MUSEUM, 401 Gay St., Nashville, TN 37201; (615) 244-3263; musicianshalloffame.com; $$. Reopened in 2013 at its new location, the Musicians Hall of Fame & Museum reflects the diversity of what Nashville has accomplished as a music center. With a slogan of “Come see what you've heard,” the museum honors the people who provide the sounds behind the music.
THE PARTHENON, 2500 West End Ave., Nashville, TN 37203; (615) 862-8431; nashville.gov/parks-and-recreation/parthenon.aspx; $$. One of Nashville's most dramatic and most recognized attractions, this is the world's only full-size reproduction of the ancient Greek temple. Nashville's magnificent Parthenon, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, mirrors the dimensions of the original to an eighth of an inch. The first Parthenon was built between 1895 and 1897 as the centerpiece for the state's Centennial Exposition. It was a symbol of the city's reputation as the Athens of the South. Like the other exposition buildings, the Parthenon was created of plaster and wood. While the other buildings were demolished after the expo, the Parthenon was so popular that Nashville kept it, and Centennial Park was created around it in the early 1900s. After it had begun to deteriorate, it was rebuilt with concrete from 1920 to 1931. Just as it was in ancient Greece, the focus of this Parthenon is a 42-foot statue of the goddess Athena, created by Nashville sculptor Alan LeQuire. It is the tallest indoor sculpture in the Western world. A 6-foot statue of Nike, the Greek goddess of victory, rests in Athena's right hand.
The Parthenon is also the city's art museum and boasts an impressive collection of art. Other gallery spaces showcase temporary art shows and exhibits. Docents provide information about the art collection and about mythology and Nashville history. A gift shop is located in the main lobby of the gallery-level entrance. It is open Tues through Sun.
TENNESSEE AGRICULTURAL MUSEUM, Ellington Agricultural Center, 440 Hogan Rd., Nashville, TN 37220; (615) 837-5197; tnagmuseum.org; free. This attraction, a short drive south from downtown Nashville, is at the beautiful 207-acre Ellington Agricultural Center. It operates under the umbrella of the Tennessee Department of Agriculture and is the department's headquarters. The museum, a 14,000-square-foot, 2-story horse barn built in 1920, houses an extensive collection of home and farm artifacts from the 1800s and early 1900s, a blacksmith shop, and the Tennessee Agriculture Hall of Fame exhibit. A log cabin area, near the main barn, features 5 cabins with exhibits relating to early farm life in Tennessee. An interpretive herb garden is next to the cabins, and a nature trail from the cabin area leads to an iris garden, pond, and gazebo. The property is also designated as an arboretum, featuring 80 tree species. On Saturday in the summer, the museum hosts a variety of fun family-oriented events that spotlight farm life. Past summer Saturday themes have included sheep shearing and wool spinning, heirloom gardening, and miniature mules and donkeys. The museum is open year-round Mon through Fri.
TENNESSEE SPORTS HALL OF FAME AND MUSEUM, 501 Broadway, Nashville, TN 37203; (615) 242-4750; tshf.net; $. This attraction, which pays tribute to Tennessee's athletes, is located on the main level of the Gaylord Entertainment Center adjacent to the glass tower. Inductees and honorees include Wilma Rudolph, Peyton Manning, Tracy Caulkins, Pat Head Summitt, and Chandra Cheeseborough. The 7,200-square-foot museum offers interactive games, exhibits on college football and basketball, NASCAR video games, two 30-seat theaters showing sports videos, and more. The attraction is open Tues through Sat.
Hotel's Indoor Gardens Are a Bona Fide Attraction
A favorite among Nashvillians and visitors, the massive Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center is as much an attraction as it is a hotel. There are 9 acres of impressive indoor gardens, 2,711 guest rooms and 171 suites, more than a dozen restaurants and bars, a variety of retail shops, and much more.
The Conservatory, a 2-acre bilevel space filled with tropical plants, was the hotel's first indoor garden; it opened in 1983. Wander along the winding path, then walk upstairs and check out the view of the 10,000 tropical plants from above. The 1988 expansion featured the Cascades, another 2-acre indoor area. The Cascades's 3 waterfalls splash down from the top of a 40-foot mountain into a 12,500-square-foot lake. You can linger here at the tropical Cascades Restaurant or enjoy drinks and appetizers at the revolving Cascades Terrace lounge. Each night, visitors crowd around the Cascades's Dancing Waters fountains, which are the focus of a laser show.
The hotel's Delta space opened in 1996. When you step into this 4.5-acre area, you'll be transported to a Mississippi Delta town—complete with a river and flatboats that carry guests through the area. The Delta's glass roof peaks at 150 feet (15 stories). There are 2- and 3-story buildings housing a variety of interesting gift shops, meeting rooms, and lounges. The Delta Island Food Court is the place to find drinks and other goodies.
Opened in 2005, Relache Spa features treatment rooms dedicated to pampering, peace, and renewal. The 20,000-square-foot European-inspired spa, fitness center, and full-service salon offers popular services.
For more information visit www.gaylordopryland.com Also, see our Accommodations and Annual Events chapters for more on lodging options and yearly happenings at this Nashville showplace. Admission to the hotel gardens is free; parking at the hotel costs $23 per day.
TENNESSEE STATE MUSEUM, 505 Deaderick St., Nashville, TN 37243; (615) 741-2692; tnmuseum.org; free. This museum offers a fascinating look at the history of Tennessee, from prehistoric times through the 20th century. Displays include collections of prehistoric Indian artifacts, firearms, silver, quilts, paintings, and pottery. There is an extensive collection of Civil War uniforms, battle flags, and weapons. You can learn about the long hunters, such as Daniel Boone, who hunted in the area beginning in the 1760s, as well as interesting political figures like Andrew Jackson and Sam Houston.
Other exhibits relate to African Americans, Prohibition, women's suffrage, and important events that shaped the history of the Volunteer State. Replicas of building facades and period rooms are featured, too. A temporary exhibit gallery presents 4 exhibits each year that relate to art and/or historical subjects of regional and national interest. The museum's Military History Branch is in the War Memorial Building 1 block away. There you'll find exhibits on America's involvement in foreign wars, from the Spanish-American War through World War II. Displays feature weapons, uniforms, and battle histories. Admission is free at both museums. The State Museum is open Tues through Sun; the Military History Branch is open Tues through Sat. Both museums are closed on major holidays.
THE UPPER ROOM CHAPEL AND MUSEUM, 1908 Grand Ave., Nashville, TN 37212; (615) 340-7200; upperroom.org; free. An interesting attraction here is the chapel's 8-by-17-foot wood carving of The Last Supper, based on Leonardo da Vinci's famous painting. It was created by Italian sculptor Ernest Pellegrini in 1953 for the Upper Room, an interdenominational ministry of the United Methodist Church. A short presentation on this piece and the chapel's 8-by-20-foot stained-glass window is given on the hour and half hour inside the chapel. The museum contains religious artifacts, paintings of religious subjects made from 1300 through 1990, manuscripts, books, and seasonal displays of 100 nativity scenes and 73 Ukrainian eggs. Between the wings of the building is the Agape Garden, featuring statues, fountains, and symbols relating to the garden of Gethsemane. Admission is free, but a $4 donation is encouraged. The museum is open Mon through Fri.
NASHVILLE SHORES, 4001 Bell Rd., Hermitage, TN 37076; (615) 889-7050; nashvilleshores.com; $$$$. At Nashville Shores, every day is a day at the beach. Located on 385 acres along Percy Priest Lake, the water park offers white sandy beaches, swimming pools, 8 large water slides, and other water amusements. Pontoon boats and personal watercraft are available for rent at the marina. Attractions include a 25,000-square-foot wave pool called Breaker Bay, and a 1,000-foot-long lazy river, the state's widest lazy river. The wave pool is filled with 400,000 gallons of water, creating up to 5 different types of waves that can reach up to 4 feet high. For landlubbers there's an assortment of amusements, including volleyball and minigolf. Check the website for other discounts and promotions. If you plan to make 4 or more visits, you'll save money by purchasing a season pass. Rental cabins and RV sites are available. Nashville Shores is open daily from mid-May through late Aug, then weekends only through mid-Sept. (See our Kidstuff and Recreation chapters for more information.)
NASHVILLE ZOO AT GRASSMERE, 3777 Nolensville Pike, Nashville, TN 37211; (615) 833-1534; nashvillezoo.org; $$. Nolensville Road between Harding and Thompson Lane is a busy area filled with fast-food restaurants, all types of stores, and lots of traffic. It's an unlikely spot for a wildlife sanctuary, yet just off this road is a 200-acre zoo that is home to more than 6,000 animals and 339 species from all around the world. The Nashville Zoo was accredited by the American Zoo and Aquarium Association in 2004; the zoo is among the 10 percent of the nation's more than 2,000 zoos and aquariums that have the accreditation.
Most of the zoo's animals live in naturalistic environments. In some exhibits, moats separate zoo visitors from zoo residents, offering guests unobstructed views of the animals. The Bengal tiger exhibit is one of the zoo's most popular attractions. Other attractions include the 2-acre Gibbon Island, home to the zoo's apes; the African Species Yard, where ostrich, zebra, and springbok roam about freely; and the Unseen New World, which houses anacondas, rattlesnakes, bats, scorpions, and other creepy and crawly things. Among the zoo's kid-oriented attractions is an interactive exhibit of playful African meerkats, and the 66,000-square-foot Jungle Gym playground. Except for New Year's Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day, the zoo is open daily, with extended hours from Mar through Oct. (See our Kidstuff chapter for more about the zoo.)
i
Fort Negley, a Civil War fort in south Nashville that had been closed for nearly 60 years, reopened in 2004. A $2 million renovation at the Union fort added a visitor center and a walking path with interpretive stops. The fort is located just off Eighth Avenue S. on a hill between Greer Stadium and the Adventure Science Center.
WAVE COUNTRY, 2320 Two Rivers Pkwy., Nashville, TN 37214; (615) 885-1052; nashville.gov/parks-and-recreation; $$. The closest seashore is at least a 7-hour drive away, but this water park will do in a pinch. It's a fun place to cool off on one of our hot, humid summer days. Catch a wave, zoom down a slippery slide, or play in the surf. Wave Country has a wave pool, adult slides, a playground, and 2 sand volleyball courts. It's at Two Rivers Park, just off Briley Parkway near Opryland. Wave Country is open daily during the summer from the end of May until the beginning of Sept. All children must be accompanied by an adult 18 or older. (For more on Wave Country, see our Kidstuff chapter.)
DOWNTOWN TROLLEY TOUR, Gray Line Nashville, Riverfront Train Station, 108 First Ave. S., Nashville, TN 37201; (615) 883-5555; graylinetn.com; $$$$. Gray Line Nashville offers a variety of Nashville sightseeing tours. The Downtown Trolley Tour is a 1.25-hour trip that includes a drive by some of Nashville's most famous attractions, including the Ryman Auditorium, State Capitol, Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum, the Parthenon, and Music Row. Trolley tours run regularly from around 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Make a day of it by using the hop-on/hop-off option of the tour. For information on other sightseeing tours, see our Music City chapter.
i
The Francis Craig Orchestra entertained Nashvillians at the Hermitage Hotel from 1929 to 1945, reportedly the longest-running hotel musical act ever.
THE GENERAL JACKSON SHOWBOAT, 2812 Opryland Dr., Nashville, TN 37214; (615) 458-3900; generaljackson.com; $$$$. March 1819 marked the arrival of the first steamboat in Nashville—the $16,000 General Jackson. By the mid-1800s Nashvillians traveled to such cities as New Orleans, Memphis, and St. Louis aboard steamboats outfitted with entertainment. Today you can experience a bit of that bygone era aboard the General Jackson. The $12-million, 300-foot-long, 4-deck paddlewheel showboat takes guests on sightseeing, dining, and entertainment cruises along the Cumberland River. It carries up to 1,200 passengers. A highlight of the boat is the ornate Victorian Theater, which can accommodate 620 people for banquets and 1,000 for theater presentations. Top-notch music and comedy shows are featured during the trip. The evening dinner cruise includes a 3-course dinner served in the theater. You can step outside to see the nighttime Nashville skyline and enjoy the sounds of the onboard band. A round-trip cruise to downtown Nashville is 14 miles. The General Jackson operates year-round.
TENNESSEE CENTRAL RAILWAY MUSEUM, 220 Willow St., Nashville, TN 37210; (615) 244-9001; tcry.org; $$$$. The Tennessee Central Railway Museum offers round-trip, 1-day excursions aboard comfy, air-conditioned trains to Middle Tennessee locations. The trains depart 1 to 3 Saturdays per month and are tied to such events as the mile-long yard sale and flea markets in Watertown, fall foliage viewing in Cookeville and surrounding areas, and the North Pole Express with Santa in December. Evening “murder mystery” excursions are sometimes available. You can choose from moderately priced seats in the dining car, first-class seats in a private drawing room, or the priciest seats in the special glass-domed car, which offers panoramic views of the beautiful Tennessee countryside. Refreshments and souvenirs are available for purchase on board. Reservations are required for anyone over age 2. Tickets sell out in advance, so plan ahead. Boarding is 30 minutes prior to departure at the museum's Willow Street location (off Hermitage Avenue), and trains arrive back in Nashville by mid- or late afternoon.