Seven

HAPPY CAMPERS

Image

Camping was an extremely popular pastime at the park. While some guests stayed in tents, others preferred the comforts of the park’s many log cabins or Swiss-style cottages. Some camps had descriptive names such as Lakeview. Other names were more humorous, like the Dew-Drop Inn. (Cuyahoga Falls Historical Society Museum.)

Image

One of the most coveted camping spots at the park was a lovely log cabin–style cottage known as Linwood. Guests had to contact the park well in advance to reserve this much-sought-after spot. There was a large tree next to the cottage, and a set of wooden stairs led to a platform nestled in the tree’s arching branches, offering excellent views of the lake. (Cuyahoga Falls Historical Society Museum.)

Image

A group of campers poses in front of Linwood. Cabins offered a bit more privacy and security than camping tents. There are many tales of boys who snuck into their friends’ tents and removed a few support posts, creating quite a surprise when the campers turned in for the night. (Author’s collection.)

Image

Rev. Frank Albert Domer of the Methodist church in Cuyahoga Falls, along with his wife, Virlinda, and his daughter Lucille (seated on bench), enjoyed spending time at the beautiful Lakeview cottage, which had a porch decorated with lanterns, ornamental plants, and pennants from local colleges. Note the more modest tent accommodations in the background. (Cuyahoga Falls Historical Society Museum.)

Image

In this aerial view, the tents and camping area can be seen near the Silver Lake Park spur of the Pennsylvania Railroad, one of several railway lines that served the park. While camping was relaxing, it was not without its frustrations. According to early newspapers, thieves were occasionally known to rifle through tents and abscond with cash, jewelry, and other possessions. (Pete Mellinger Jr. collection.)

Image

Although this resembles a military scene, it predates World War I, when soldiers camped at Silver Lake prior to being assigned to military bases. Fraternal organizations such as the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias frequently camped at the park and held dress parades. (Pete Mellinger Jr. collection.)

Image

An August 5, 1892, advertisement in the Cuyahoga Falls Reporter provides some clues to the popularity of camping at Silver Lake. It states, “The shores of the lake are admirably adapted for camping parties. . . . The air is always cool and invigorating and malaria is unknown, mosquitoes never annoy the fortunate visitors and the nights are such as to provoke sound slumber, and a cheery awakening.” (Pete Mellinger Jr. collection.)

Image

According to price sheets from the park, a single-story, three-room frame cottage could be rented for $1.50 per day. This included tables, chairs, cots, and a stove. In all, the park had numerous cabins and cottages scattered across its grounds. After the park closed, several of the larger cottages were moved and became private homes. (Pete Mellinger Jr. collection.)

Image

Campers desiring more spacious accommodations than those seen here could rent two-story frame cottages with five rooms and furnishings for $2 a day. Campers kept the park staff busy filling ice chests and lighting the flambeau lanterns that provided illumination to the park before the days of electricity. (Pete Mellinger Jr. collection.)

Image

To accommodate the growing number of visitors, the park added a hotel in 1903. The Silver Lake Hotel, which the Lodge family nicknamed “The Lodge,” was located near the dance pavilion. The hotel was constructed out of an old dining hall. Rooms could be rented for $2 per day or $10 per week. (Author’s collection.)

Image

Excursionists wishing to stay in town instead of at the park could find comfortable accommodations in Cuyahoga Falls at the Clifford Inn, which was located on the northwest corner of Front Street and Portage Trail. A horse and buggy taxi service ran continuously between the hotel, the High Bridge Glens, and Silver Lake Park. Streetcar service was also available. (Pete Mellinger Jr. collection.)