Nine

LEISURELY PURSUITS AND
THRILLING ATTRACTIONS

Image

As baseball became the national pastime, the Lodges added baseball grounds to the park. Not only did local sports teams hold rousing athletic contests at Silver Lake Park, but company picnics held at the park also included baseball games for employees. A grandstand was provided for the fans. (Cuyahoga Falls Historical Society Museum.)

Image

The auditorium where the Silver Lake Chautauquas were held had an ample stage and dressing rooms for performers, as well as seating for 600 guests. The structure was situated so that evening breezes cooled the building. Silver Lake advertised that its Chautauqua program appealed “to the thoughtful and cultured and seeks to displace those forms of amusement which are unworthy and fraught with danger.” (Pete Mellinger Jr. collection.)

Image

Near the entrance to the Chautauqua was this ticket booth. The circular concrete structure in the back is a turntable, which was used in connection with the miniature railway. When the train reached the end of its route, the turntable could be used to point the train in the direction it needed to travel next. (Author’s collection.)

Image

Visitors had their choice of ways to reach the Chautauqua. They could walk, take the miniature railway, or ride on the steamboat and disembark at this rustic-looking dock. Like many of the park’s other attractions, the dock was decorated with electric lights, which created a charming impression and cast colorful reflections in the water. (Author’s collection.)

Image

A visitor poses near a path leading to the Chautauqua area of the park. The Lodge family was proud of the woodland paradise they had created. To preserve its beauty and tranquility, they posted signs advising guests that shooting and hunting were not permitted on their grounds. In addition, all persons were forbidden to pick ferns or “injure the shrubbery.” (Author’s collection.)

Image

The route to and from the Chautauqua was a particularly picturesque one, as seen in the view above. Several modern-day Silver Lake residents have been surprised to find remains of the park’s miniature railway tracks running through the edges of their backyards. One private property has remains from the railway’s turntable. (Author’s collection.)

Image

In conjunction with the Chautauqua, Silver Lake Park also hosted the Ohio School of Methods. Unlike the Chautauqua programs, which appealed to the general public, the Methods lectures were designed for Sunday school workers. At the 1913 session, attendees could hear lectures on the various aspects of instruction as well as participate in “nature rambles.” (Pete Mellinger Jr. collection.)

Image

Many of northeast Ohio’s finest families visited Silver Lake Park. This 1890 photograph shows Blanche Bruot Hower (seated, left) and her mother-in-law, Susan Youngker Hower (seated, right), posing for a photograph near an arbor at the park. Susan was married to John Henry Hower, a leading industrialist who came to be called “the Father of Akron Industry.” Standing behind them are family friend Anna Albertson (left) and Clara Stickle, Blanche’s sister. (Courtesy of the University of Akron/Hower House collection.)

Image

A couple in Victorian garb poses for a photograph at the park’s tintype studio. Tintypes, a form of photography frequently used at amusement parks during that era, were typically shot against some sort of painted backdrop or with furniture or other props. The resulting image was then placed in a paper frame or folder as a souvenir. (Author’s collection.)

Image

This is another example of a tintype believed to have been produced at the park. It features several young children posing by the lake. Note the boy posed in a goat cart in this quaint scene. In the early days of photography, subjects had to be extremely careful not to move or their photograph would come out very blurry. (George F. Lodge collection.)

Image

In the autumn of 1904, William Lodge began work building an island near the middle of Silver Lake. Using mounds of dirt and discarded railway ties from the line serving the former Randolph Park, Lodge and his crew built an island approximately 120 feet long and 60 feet wide. Visitors enjoyed paddling their boats to the island. Lodge’s wife named the island Willisle after her husband. (Pete Mellinger Jr. collection.)

Image

To make the island even more appealing, Lodge added several trees. He later had the park’s former peanut stand moved to the island, where it enjoyed new life as a shelter house. In 1905, the shelter was struck by lightning. Initially, onlookers were fearful that there were people in the building during the storm. To everyone’s relief, no one was injured. (Pete Mellinger Jr. collection.)

Image

In 1906, the members of the Summit County Horticultural Society announced that they would hold their June meeting on Willisle (above). Guests were conveyed to the island by the park’s electric launch. The event was hosted by noted horticulturist Matthew Crawford and the featured topic was the cultivation of strawberries. (Pete Mellinger Jr. collection.)

Image

Silver Lake Park was the setting for many dances hosted by school groups. This homecoming party was organized by students from Cuyahoga Falls High School. One of the students who attended the event was the son of an officer of the Falls Lumber Company. George R. James’s company had not only supplied the wood for the pavilion’s construction; in earlier years, he had also served on the park’s steamboat. (Cuyahoga Falls Historical Society Museum.)

Image

Some of park visitors’ most vivid memories are those of the music played at the dance pavilion. This program from an event at Silver Lake provides an example of some of the popular tunes of the day. Judging by the many ladies’ names in this booklet, the owner had a pretty full dance card. (Cuyahoga Falls Historical Society Museum.)

Image

Many a romance flourished at Silver Lake Park. Sweethearts enjoyed escaping to the woods and walking hand-in-hand along Lovers Lane. The park was also the scene of several marriage proposals. (Pete Mellinger Jr. collection.)

Image

The park’s cottages enabled families and their guests to enjoy a quiet retreat from the hustle and bustle of the park’s more lively attractions. This photograph shows the growing popularity of bicycling in the late 1800s. Local racing champion William H. Wetmore of Cuyahoga Falls gave cycling demonstrations at the park using a “marine bicycle.” (Pete Mellinger Jr. collection.)

Image

This group of young people takes time to pose near one of the park’s steamer docks. (George F. Lodge collection.)

Image

This postcard view shows the Silver Lake pavilion, far in the distance, from the southwest corner of the lake. The pavilion had three cupolas on its roof and 11 dormers. (Fred Long Collection, Stow–Munroe Falls Public Library.)

Image

Depending on the postcard, the park was described as being associated with Akron, Kent, or Cuyahoga Falls. Judging by the caption on this view, someone had a bit of trouble spelling the name of the latter community. (Fred Long Collection, Stow–Munroe Falls Public Library.)

Image

This group of ladies from the nearby Hudson area poses at their cabin, Camp Delight. An array of lanterns hangs from the porch. Before the days of electric lighting, camping areas were illuminated with glass lanterns or with metal flambeau lanterns that were mounted on the sides of trees. (Hudson Library and Historical Society.)

Image

Just because campers were in a woodland setting didn’t mean they couldn’t do a little shopping. In addition to having the typical souvenir stands, the park also occasionally gave local businesses the opportunity to exhibit their wares. In this scene, several automobile dealerships are displaying the latest models. (George F. Lodge collection, used with permission of the Chart family.)

Image

In 1901, the park reached a major milestone in its history when it filed incorporation papers with the State of Ohio as the Silver Lake Park Company. Initial capitalization for the business was $100,000. As the park grew, it implemented more standardized business practices that would allow it to operate more efficiently. (Cuyahoga Falls Historical Society Museum.)

Image

In addition to its more leisurely pursuits, the park had fun-filled rides and attractions. Several different individuals operated carousels at Silver Lake Park over the years, and the Lodges continually experimented with finding the best location for this attraction. In the 1890s, a wooden platform was built out over the lake. A steam-driven merry-go-round was operated on this site in the early 1890s. (Cuyahoga Falls Historical Society Museum.)

Image

The Ingersoll Pleasure Amusement Company of Pittsburgh operated several attractions at the park, including a carousel, a laughing gallery (fun house), and a figure eight toboggan-style roller coaster. The coaster, which was built at a cost of $12,000, was located near the park’s baseball grounds. Later, a Racer ride was added. (Fred Long Collection, Stow–Munroe Falls Public Library.)

Image

According to the Cuyahoga Falls Reporter, the figure eight roller coaster was 52 feet high at its tallest point, and the track was approximately 1,800 feet in length. Like the park’s other attractions, the tower and the framework of the coaster were decorated with colorful lights that could be “seen for miles.” (Fred Long Collection, Stow–Munroe Falls Public Library.)

Image

The Cuyahoga Falls Reporter praised the safety of the Ingersoll coaster. One article stated, “There is no way to meet with accident except by jumping from the cars.” Visitors who felt too squeamish to ride the figure eight could enjoy a few spins on the new merry-go-round, which was enclosed in a $5,000 building near the coaster. (John and Janet Waldsmith collection.)

Image

According to the Cuyahoga Falls Reporter, the roller coaster was “in the charge of 16 experienced people, who are thoroughly familiar with all its workings. The brakeman at the finish of the delightful trip stops the momentum of the car by elevating the track under the car by single pull of the lever within 30 feet of the station and by pulling another lever the car is brought to a dead stop at the landing platform.” (Author’s collection.)

Image

As was true of the Lodge family, the Ingersoll Pleasure Amusement Company would not tolerate tomfoolery or immoral behavior on its rides. The back of this roller coaster ticket states, “Management reserves the right to refuse objectionable persons.” In one unfortunate incident, a visitor who stood up while the ride was in motion accidentally fell from the coaster and died. (Author’s collection.)

Image

The park featured an “amusement corner,” where several mechanical rides and arcade-style features were located. The park’s bowling alley was also located in this area. Note the roller coaster on the far right. The house-like structure next to it was the tintype studio. (Pete Mellinger Jr. collection.)

Image

This postcard view shows the location of several of the buildings in the arcade area, including the merry-go-round (left). The “Japanese building,” which had a pagoda-style roof, housed a “rolling the ball” game. Next to the arcade entrance was the bowling building, which contained nine lanes and five billiard tables. (Author’s collection.)

Image

Another unique form of locomotion at the park was this ride, which was called Sea-On-Land or A Trip to Rockaway. According to park brochures, the ride was powered by an electrical device and consisted of “an elliptical track of ordinary steam railway sort” and a boat that pitched back and forth like a ship in rough seas. (Author’s collection.)

Image

The Trip to Rockaway ride could accommodate up to 48 passengers. Historians have speculated on the origins of the ride’s name. Some believe it is an homage to Rockaway Beach in New York; others simply believe it is a clever play on words, referring to the ride’s rocking motion and ability to mimic a vessel at sea. (Author’s collection.)

Image

The park attracted excursion groups from many cities throughout the state. It also was frequented by local organizations such as the Cleveland Boys’ Home in Hudson. The group is seen here posing in front of the entrance to A Trip to Rockaway. (Pete Mellinger Jr. collection.)

Image

After the flood of 1913 damaged the Summit County Fairgrounds, at Fountain Park in Akron, the fair moved to Silver Lake Park for several years. During the event, special passes were issued providing free admission for the entire fair. Similar passes were sometimes issued for Silver Lake Park. (George E. Zurava collection.)

Image

Fairgoers enjoyed exciting races at Silver Lake’s half-mile track, including those involving horses, automobiles, or motorcycles. In 1915, visitors at a rubber company picnic witnessed a very unusual contest involving Barney Oldfield, who zipped his car around the track while his competitor, DeLloyd Thompson, flew overhead in an airplane. Oldfield won by a close margin. (Pete Mellinger Jr. collection, used with permission of the Chart family.)

Image

This photograph shows a mix of modes of transportation at the park’s track, including automobiles and carriages side by side. Note the many rows of seats available for spectators. Band members are also carrying their instruments down the track. (George F. Lodge collection.)

Image

Judges, charged with the responsibility of determining winners at the park, could get an optimal view from this tower. A sign warns spectators to stay out of the center field lest they be trampled during races. One man at the top of the tower is equipped with a horn or megaphone. (George F. Lodge collection, used with permission of the Chart family.)

Image

In 1917, area men preparing to serve in World War I were encamped at Silver Lake prior to being assigned to military bases. In fact, soldiers marched around the track at Silver Lake Park as part of their fitness training. Here, members of the Hospital Corps of Companies B and F pose before heading off to Camp Sheridan in Montgomery, Alabama. (Dale Platt collection, used with permission of the Chart family.)

Image

In addition to races and other contests, the Summit County Fair at Silver Lake also included exhibits by local businesses and concessions by churches and other organizations. This booth, hosted by a Stow church, offered a refreshing array of carbonated beverages. The first day of the 1915 Summit County Fair at Silver Lake was a success, with more than 10,000 people attending the opening-day festivities. (Fred Long Collection, Stow–Munroe Falls Public Library.)

Image

In 1912, Silver Lake Park opened another exciting addition: what is believed to be the first aviation field in Summit County. Many early “bird men” gave flying demonstrations at the 60-acre field, and several took park visitors for a flight over the lake for $25 a passenger. This photograph, by Floyd E. Chart, features an early aviator at Silver Lake. (Chart family collection.)

Image

The new field of aviation captured the imagination of the public. Local residents soon became accustomed to the sight of pilots from the Silver Lake airfield cruising the skies over Cuyahoga Falls and nearby Akron. It was not without its perils, however. In 1913, Charles Carlson, a 27-year-old pilot from Milwaukee, died at Silver Lake after his plane fell 200 feet from the sky. The wreckage following the accident is seen here. It was the first fatality at the aviation field. (Marty Clifford Shoemaker, used with permission of the Chart family.)

Image

Many of the park’s biggest days, in terms of attendance, were those involving special events, such as the Summit County Farmers’ Picnic, which frequently featured presentations by the Ohio governor, secretary of state, or other local dignitaries. (Cuyahoga Falls Historical Society Museum.)

Image

A crowd gathers to watch an event at the park. Silver Lake Park offered many special attractions, including balloon ascensions and other aviation demonstrations. For those guests preferring more earth-bound entertainment, the park hired a troupe of Native American actors who performed the play Hiawatha. A stage was built that partially extended into the lake, enabling actors to utilize canoes and other props that added to the realism of the production. In a separate event, the Silver Lake Park Company hosted a four-day extravaganza chronicling the opening of the Panama Canal. Each day’s production included 200 actors and 19,000 square feet of painted scenery and closed with a $1,000 fireworks display—quite a sum of money for its day. (Cuyahoga Falls Library.)

Image

As Silver Lake Park added more elaborate features, it issued this price list, which outlined costs for rides, meals, and the rental of tents, cottages, and related equipment. The park also advertised the availability of swimming lessons. Within 10 to 12 lessons, the park’s “competent instructor” guaranteed that a student would be able to swim. Lessons cost $8–$12. (Cuyahoga Falls Library.)

Image

In addition to the park’s rides and other attractions, Silver Lake was the site of several icehouses similar to this one. The Lodges’ icehouse supplied ice for the park as well as to other customers. During winter in the early 1900s, when ice on Silver Lake reached sufficient thickness, workers cut and hauled the ice to the conveyor belt, which carried the ice into the icehouse for storage. Harvesting the ice was cold, hard work, but provided jobs for many local residents. To maintain the purity of the ice, the Lodge family insisted on one unusual but practical rule for its workers: no chewing tobacco or spitting while harvesting the ice. Henry Spelman and “Ice Man” Harrington also operated icehouses near Crystal Lake and Silver Lake. (Cuyahoga Falls Historical Society Museum.)