Four
CLARKSON AND CZECHS
This early photograph of the town of Clarkson in Colfax County, Nebraska, shows a team of surveyors intent on planning and platting the layout of the town. In front of the building, a proprietor sits on his chair near a table and a stand of brooms on the wooden sidewalk in the entry of his establishment. The town was established in 1886. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
In 1892, the west side of Main Street had several new business entities. A harness shop is in the dark-colored building, and further north there is a shoe shop and another harness shop, plus the Clarkson Post Office. The people seem to freeze in their spot on the sidewalk for a chance to be a part of the historical photograph. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
A parade on July 4, 1893, draws a large crowd in front of the 1891 Cesko Slovensky Podporujici Spolek Lodge building on Main Street to celebrate. A band is on the left, and ladies in white gowns are to the right. Men on horseback carry a flag, and the men lined up behind the children are shown carrying axes on their shoulders. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
By 1905, the west side of Main Street had added new stores. A clothing display in a store with “Chleb Bros.,” (perhaps a partial sign of the Chleboun Bros.), on the window, is the first building with the awning. Further up the street are the Farmers State Bank, Odvarka Printing, and the Clarkson Post Office. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
Earlier, Anton Zabka had a hotel and saloon on this site from 1887 to 1898. Access to the buildings from the dirt street is by wooden walks constructed in front and out toward the street for customers. In 1900, the Clarkson State Bank bought the site and erected a brick building there. (Courtesy of Clarkson State Museum.)
The Clarkson State Bank, also called the Folda Bank, occupied this brick building from 1901 to 1934. It went insolvent in 1934, but was reorganized in August 1934 and reopened as the Clarkson Bank. This photograph is dated February 16, 1915. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
The young men seen behind the counter at the Beran Meat Market are unidentified. One of the gentlemen could be the owner, Bohumil Beran. Note the white caps and jackets they wore to work with their meat products. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
The Odvarka family members, along with the family dog, are pictured in this 1904 photograph of the Odvarka Printing Co. office. They are, from left to right, Anton Odvarka Jr., Otto Odvarka, Bessie Odvarka, and V.L. Odvarka. The business ran here from 1900 to 1916. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
This photograph shows the working area of the Odvarka Printing Co. in 1904. On the left is a paper cutter, and next to it is the linotype with a chair for the operator. A flatbed press stands next to the ornate wood burner. The Odvarka site is now the home of the Colfax County Press. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
The Cesko Slovensky Podporujici Spolek Lodge, known as the CSPS, had a Clarkson membership from 1891 to 1897. The members transferred to the Zapadni Cesko Bratrska Jednota, the ZCBJ Lodge, on November 11, 1897. The translation of the ZCBJ name is the “Western Bohemian Fraternal Association.” (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
J.V. Fajman had this furniture store. Standing in front on the left is Joseph Nicine, and on the right is Alois Severa. The gentleman in the back is not identified. Fajman also owned a mortuary that was run by his son Joseph V. Fajman. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
Buildings were often moved and relocated in Clarkson. One such structure is being pulled down the street by a steam engine tractor. The tall black building was Hobza Repair Shop. Next to that were Louis Severa’s carpenter and blacksmith shop, and beside that were Jose Suchy and Joseph Vitek’s blacksmith shop. This is now the site of Alegent Health Center in downtown Clarkson. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
The ZCBJ built the Clarkson Opera House in 1916 for social events, school functions, and basketball games. In 1920s, silent plays were performed, and the “Talkie” movies were shown in the 1930s. The interior has been restored extensively for community events today. Several hand-painted backdrop canvas screens are being restored with private funds and a grant. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
Frederich Noh built this hotel in 1897 in Clarkson. It had 10 rooms available. The Nohs’ extended family lived outside Clarkson. Ed Noh’s farm was struck by a tornado in 1915. The Nohs all left the area in the first half of 1900s. The Slamas family owned the hotel until 1934; it was demolished in 1946. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
Josephine Noh, Frederich Noh’s wife, was the head cook and proprietress of the Noh Hotel. The Nohs were an influential family in the Clarkson area. The father, John Noh, emigrated from Germany and purchased land south of Clarkson. He ran a livestock transportation company in Clarkson. The family also had a livestock holding pen near the railroad for shipping hogs out on the train. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
An early view of the main street in Clarkson is seen on this postcard. The horse-and-buggy-lined dirt street is very rough and treacherous when muddy. Hitching posts line the street, and a couple of water troughs can be seen. Up the hill is a large building on the left, a big home in the middle, and a church on the right. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
The photograph shows the development of the residential area in Clarkson. Electrical poles and wires indicate a step in modernization for the homes in the early 1900s, though the street remains unpaved. An ornate fence surrounds the gable-adorned first home. Most of the homes appear to have two stories and are very proudly maintained. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
Printed on the front of this photograph is the illegible name of a museum in Prague, Czech Republic, that is also the name of a restaurant and dance hall in Clarkson owned by Frantisek Thistos (or Thustos). Eight men with instruments pose in the street to welcome bystanders for some entertainment. Three faces are visible in the upper window. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
Alois Bukacek built a wooden structure for the Alois and John Bukacek Meat Market in 1908. It was moved in 1910 to become living quarters, and this new brick building took its place. Signs painted on the windows indicate a place to acquire furniture, drugs, or undertaking. A vertical sign to the right says, “Bachelor.” (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
This 1920s view of the ever-growing and -improving town of Clarkson shows that the street, while still dirt, is much smoother. Toward the far end of the street lie the Clarkson depot on the left and railroad cars on the tracks. On the street is a garage with a Federal Tires sign; a gas pump stands in front. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
The Clarkson Livery Barn provided horses or horse-and-buggy rigs for rent. The mounted men out front are getting ready to enjoy their rides. There is a haymow in the barn, where two young men sit in the loft doorway. The several men standing on the left near the barn may be employees or simply waiting for services. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
Looking down the street into the residential district of Clarkson, a large square brick building stands out amidst the homes. This is the Clarkson High School, built in 1914, meaning this photograph was taken in the early 1910s or 1920s. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
From 1886 to 1893, John Roether and Joseph Becker owned the Roether-Becker Village Hall in Clarkson. The band members shown on the decorated stage are, from left to right (first row) Joe Hajek, Frank Koci, Frank Ventura, and Hanel Basta; (second row) Frank Molacek, Joseph Cibulka, Vinc Molacek, and ? Hampl. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
This is a formation of the World War I Clarkson Home Guard Unit. The photograph was taken in 1918. A 48-star flag is positioned behind the group. The unit bugler sits down in front and one soldier has his sword. A number of their rifles stand in teepee formation, and some are placed on the ground in front. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
Another World War I group, identified as the “U.R. Co. E. 1st” Regiment of Nebraska Volunteers, is in this photograph. They were special infantry or cavalry companies formed to serve in the Union army during the Civil War. They were trained to protect the frontier; some regiments served under Ulysses S Grant. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
The Modern Woodsmen of America (MWA) were also special groups commissioned by Joseph Cullen Root in the 1890s. The men in this group are armed with axes, which could indicate they were part of a Foresters drill team. They would clear lands for development in communities and for settlers’ homes, as well as provide security for those homeowners. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
A crowd of happy well-wishers and a band wait to cheer the arrival of troops back home from the war. This is a scene at the Clarkson depot as they wait with high anticipation for their sons, husbands, fiancés, and loved ones to return. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
Numerous buggies and horses line the street in front of the Gus Koza Livery Barn. This business provided rentals for country forays and for mail carriers to rent rigs for mail deliveries. Next to the livery is Joe Suchy’s breeding barn. At the far end stands a large, long horse barn and stockyard. A veterinarian was also available. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
Frank Castka Sr. relaxes on the lawn at the Sousek residence, southwest of Clarkson, where he worked as a farmhand around 1900. He met and married Mary Lopour and is Alma Meyer’s grandfather. Joseph Sousek and his wife stand on the right in this photograph. (Courtesy of Alma Meyer.)
From 1908 to 1915, Frantisek “Frank” Bos owned and operated a saloon in Clarkson. It was the second building from the north on the west side of Main Street. He was also the proprietor of a dance hall in the back of the Miller Furniture Store, where dances, parties, plays, and wrestling matches were held. Frank Bos stands behind the bar. (Courtesy of Alma Meyer.)
Frank Bos is seen in this portrait. He married and had one daughter, Anna, who married William Karel. The Bos family name was first spelled Bošch. It was changed to Boš in 1900, and today, some family branches spell it as “Bosh” for easier pronunciation. (Courtesy of Alma Meyer.)
There were several lumber and grain companies in Clarkson in the early 1900s. On this postcard, the Crowell Lumber & Grain Co. is in the foreground, with several storage buildings in its compound. In the upper right area is the Nye, Wilson and Morehead Grain & Elevator complex. To the far right are the Clarkson depot and railroad tracks. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
From the left to right are ? Ustoha, Charlie Svoboda, and Anton Dusatko, all standing in front of the elevator that could be the Crowell Lumber & Grain Co. Joseph Basta, a teamster, is driving the horse-drawn wagon near the grain storage elevator. Another team of horse and wagon waits in the yard. An electrical pole stands near the elevator complex. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
On September 19, 1912, the flour house of Clarkson Milling Company was consumed in flames. Firemen fight the blaze on the left and a boy and man are spectators to the destruction. The mill had just installed some new equipment and, the loss was estimated at $18,000. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
A boy discovers a new and exciting playground in the Clarkson Milling Company rubble left from a devastating fire in 1912. Two more children stand on the railroad tracks, well away from the blackened debris. Four men in overcoats and hats survey the damage in the middle of the photograph. The grain elevator and smokestack still stand relatively unblemished. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
Fires and floods are disasters that plagued early developing towns. In the early years to the mid-1900s, several widespread floods assaulted streets, homes, and business. On June 11, 1944, the mills, elevators, and railroad tracks were inundated with floodwaters, which spread to the top portion of this aerial photograph. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
This aerial photograph shows the extent of floodwaters, spreading from the railroad tracks on the bottom left to around all the homes, sheds, trees, and streets as far as the eye can see on the horizon. A small shed on the right is almost covered up with water, and buildings sit in water deep enough to have seeped inside. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
Here is a photograph with some great advertising for a new model automobile. It says to “Ride in a Gray,” a car model from Richtig Bros. in Clarkson, Nebraska. The sign the family holds states that the car’s official test awarded 33.8 miles per gallon. The automobile company sign on the building says, “Dodge Bros. Motor Cars, Frank A. Richtig.” (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
Floods, fires, and accidents are not the only challenges facing the settlers and townspeople. In addition to the bitter cold temperatures of winter, blizzards were a dreaded force of nature to reckon with. It takes an army of men wielding shovels to clear drifts of snow from the rail line. This looks like a phenomenal undertaking in man’s battle with Mother Nature. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
Blizzards bring inches of snow and feet-deep drifts on the main thoroughfare in Clarkson. This aftermath of a winter snowstorm on January 18, 1932, will require the use of shovels, manpower, and snow removal equipment to open the street to traffic. A path has been cleared on the sidewalk for customers to get to the stores. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
This wooden building was brought in from a farm in 1886. It was home to the Clarkson Enterprise newspaper, the first bank, and many other businesses. It was in this structure that Bukacek and Zrust invented, patented, and manufactured the Buko Oiler can in 1920. Duane and Brenda Novotny opened the Purple Palace, a burger and ice cream shop, in 1963. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
In 1958, Harlan and Shirley Hamernik opened a nursery, which grew into the largest perennial center in the Midwest with around 100 employees. They expanded the corporation into several locations in Clarkson and called it the Bluebird Nursery. One of the sites is called the Gardenland Tree Lot. Their products are shipped worldwide from their FedEx shipping house at the corporate center in Clarkson. (Courtesy of Bluebird Nursery.)
This is an aerial view of the corporate plant in 2003, located in the northeast corner of Clarkson. It is at Park Place and Van Wingerden. The old corporate office and retail store is in the bottom right corner of the greenhouses and shipping plant. Harlan and Shirley were owners and developers of the company for over 50 years. (Courtesy of Bluebird Nursery.)
In 1949, the Blue House, one of Harlan Hamernik’s original hobby-developing plant houses, was completed. This hobby was soon to be a living, breathing greenhouse and nursery business of world renown. Harlan Hamernick not only grew plants, but also propagated new hybrids developed with his collection of plants from many parts of the world. Some were from seeds and others from cuttings. (Courtesy of Bluebird Nursery.)
Harlan and Shirley Hamernik tend to the flowers and plants while teaching their two sons about watering and caring for the garden. These young boys, two of their three sons, are Chuck (left) and Tom. They are destined to follow in the footsteps of their parents and takeover the corporation of Bluebird Nursery. (Courtesy of Bluebird Nursery.)
Harlan and Shirley Hamernik are honored to be chosen czecky krajan and kranjanka—meaning king and queen in Czech—at the 1989 Czech Days Annual Festival in Clarkson. The Czech Days celebrate Czech heritage and customs every June and has for the past 50 years. (Courtesy of Bluebird Nursery.)
The three sons of Shirley and Harlan Hamernik—Mike, Chuck, and Tom—are featured on the front cover of the Greenhouse Management and Production (gmPRO) magazine. There is an article about the sons and Bluebird Nursery in the 2008 December issue of gmPRO magazine. They keep the corporation operations moving ahead. (Courtesy of Bluebird Nursery.)
This large group of Beseda Dancers is shown dressed in their authentic Czech garments, which are made according to traditional materials and decoration. They have gathered with many supporters and an accordion player while celebrating a half-century of performances, both in Clarkson and elsewhere. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
Even the children learn the Czech traditions and dances, their outfits being smaller replicas of the adult Beseda dancers. Here, the Czech band plays the music for the children’s performance on the dance floor at the Czech celebration and festivities. The Czech band has accordion players along with clarinets, coronets or trumpets, drums, baritones, tubas, and trombones. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
The Clarkson Czech Band performs for the crowd on a street stage during one of the annual Czech Days celebrations. The band has accordions, both wind and brass instruments, and a bass drum. The crowd may be entertained listening to the music, or they may join in the street dances, such as the Czech polka or other folk dances. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
This is a photograph of a typical crowd gathered on benches, chairs, and bleachers for the talent competition to see the chosen Czech queens and their attendants in traditional hand-sewn regalia called kroj, which is pronounced “kroy.” A carnival is on the street behind the crowd. In 1968, it was estimated that over 20,000 people attended Czech Days in Clarkson. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)