Eight
BENEDICTINE MISSION,
CHURCHES, AND SCHOOLS
In 1933, the Sisters of Notre Dame sold their former convent for $5,000 to become the Benedictine Mission House. Brother Felix Meckel, Brother Placidus Husslein, and First Father Superior Hadelin Mueller stand on the front walk of their new home in Schuyler. (Courtesy of the Benedictine Mission House.)
The six brothers are photographed in the 1930s at the Benedictine Mission House. The south side of St. Mary’s Church is visible behind the house. To the right is the original St. Mary’s Rectory. The photograph below shows a serene visage of a snow-covered cottage with the grotto on the right. This photograph was also taken in the early years, when the monastery was located in Schuyler. This house was added on to and remodeled, and accommodations were made to provide the monks with the space needed to carry on their mission work. (Both, courtesy of the Benedictine Mission House.)
The Ehrenberger family gave the Benedictines 16 acres of ground four miles north of Schuyler near Highway 15. This location overlooks the Platte River Valley and is now the site of the Benedictine Mission House office and monastery. In January 1978, the move was made from their home of 44 years to the new mission house. The photograph below is of the Benedictine Retreat, which is located across the road to the north of the mission house. This beautiful center entertains groups for a day or a weekend, as well as for weeklong retreats. (Both, courtesy of the Benedictine Mission House.)
This Howells postcard has the printed name of this building as the German Catholic Parochial School, as it appeared in 1908. In a Howells centennial book, the same photograph has this building listed under the name of SS Peter and Paul School in Howells. (Courtesy of Howells Historical Museum.)
This postcard is printed with “German Catholic Church and Parsonage” in Howells. In the 1860s, a group of German Catholics formed a congregation in Olean, north of Howells, and built a church in 1874. In 1877, a rectory and school were added. In 1890, the SS Peter and Paul Church was organized by Catholics who came into Howells from Olean. (Courtesy of Howells Historical Museum.)
A group of girls in white dresses and boys in their white shirts, suits, and ties are gathered for a photograph with their teacher. The sign behind them on the wall indicates the year of 1920, and it was noted that this is the Bohemian School in Schuyler. Religion, education, and the retention of cultural heritage were paramount for the community. (Courtesy of Jim Krzycki.)
In 1912, the National Presbyterian Convention was held in Clarkson. With this large a gathering, the church building would have been inadequate for room, so a large tent was erected for the overflow of events. Social gatherings drew big crowds and all members of the families attended, from toddlers to grandmothers and grandfathers. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
A 1900s class of first-grade students gathers in Leigh for their photograph. Mary Margaret Cain, daughter of Dr. J.W. Cain, is in this class. She is in the first row with the white pinafore and is scowling at the photographer. Apparently, not all children wore shoes to school, as the little boy on the left is barefooted. (Courtesy of House of Yesteryear and Marian Beck.)
The first rural school district was built with logs in 1859 on the William Davis farm. It was later replaced with a wooden-frame building. The building was moved west and north of Rogers, presumably to higher ground. During the move, the building became stuck in the mud and remained there, four and a half miles northeast of Schuyler. (Courtesy of Schuyler Historical Museum.)
The T.J. Sokol organization was formed to promote gymnastics, singing, Czech literature, and dramatics. In 1907, the Telocvicna Jednota Sokol Karl Stulik group included these young gentlemen. They are, from left to right, (first row) Jerry Schmid and Charles Mastny; (second row) Joe Bures, Joe Schmid, Johnny Pesek, and John Holub. The members were to refrain from tobacco, to speak Czech, and to dress in appropriate attire for gymnastics. (Courtesy of Dan Wisnieski.)
An early congregation in Leigh was the First Congregational Church of Leigh. The dates on this photograph indicate that the church was established in 1885 and that services took place until 2005. Colfax County was predominantly of the Catholic persuasion, with Lutheran congregations the next largest in number. The other Protestant religions were well represented, though varied. (Courtesy of House of Yesteryear and Marian Beck.)
Large classrooms were often filled to capacity. There are approximately 75 students seated at desks. The young ladies are in similar white dresses, while the young men are in suits for the class. They all appear to be of a higher grade level in age. The five persons standing may be the instructors for this classroom. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)
High school grades not only included the town children, but most of the rural school districts students who had passed the eighth grade were then transferred into the city’s upper-grade public school. To accommodate this influx of students, larger and larger buildings were constructed. This photograph was taken by Frank Powolny in 1914 of the huge brick high school in Clarkson. (Courtesy of Clarkson Historical Museum.)