Author Topic: Gutenberg Project - Uploads without end...  (Read 773 times)

March 12, 2021, 05:11:04 PM
Read 773 times

POW.MIA

• Information
  • Novice reader
Gutenberg Project - Uploads without end...
« on: March 12, 2021, 05:11:04 PM »
My enthusiasm is limited.
The Imperial Library is currently being filled with books from the Gutenberg project. They are almost exclusively old books, mainly classics, which you can get for free on the web for years.
Is that intentional? Is this the claim of the Imperial Library?
Does anyone want to profile themselves in bulk uploads?

March 13, 2021, 02:10:14 AM
Reply #1

George

• Information
  • Novice reader
Re: Gutenberg Project - Uploads without end...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 02:10:14 AM »
At least it's not dirt, and they are clearly referenced.

Actually I downloaded some of them, probably I would have never searched for them at Gutenberg. It's kinda breaking out of the bubble.

Now this has nothing to do with Gutenberg or this library, but a lot with having occurrences I didn't wish, expect or intend. I often hear people complaining about silly results on well defined searches. I'm happy to encounter such events. It would be frightening for me, if all my expectations would be perfectly delivered. I hate to see advertising that relates to former behavior in the web. The more things seem to be deliberate convenient, the more we are controlled by the algorithms.

March 15, 2021, 06:34:42 PM
Reply #2

Las Zenow

• Information
  • Avid reader
  • Chief Librarian
  • You just leave it to the Library.
    • Imperial Library of Trantor
Re: Gutenberg Project - Uploads without end...
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 06:34:42 PM »
We don't keep any records of who upload books, so you can not gain any 'awards' by bulk upload. I guess someone is interested on the gutenberg project books being in the library and is uploading them. I find them more interesting that many of other books around the library, actually. I don't see the problem having more books, mostly if they are quality ones, even if they are already in another places.

I think the mayor annoyance coming from the search of the library not being so great, and having many books produces more noise there. I think we need to explore ways to improve the search, without loosing the discoverability of unexpected things that George is pointing out.
Happy reading!!!