Author Topic: EPUBs converted from PDF  (Read 243 times)

October 10, 2021, 01:55:31 PM
Read 243 times

sandi

• Information
  • Novice reader
EPUBs converted from PDF
« on: October 10, 2021, 01:55:31 PM »
The upload page says "Do not upload epubs converted from PDFs or any book that is not pleasant to read."

I'm curious... what's the reason for this? Is there any significant difference between an original epub, and an epub converted from a high-quality digital PDF (with real text (i.e. not a scanned (raster) PDF that has been OCR'd, obviously), document outline / table of contents, annotations, etc - as long as all this stuff is preserved in conversion)? And more importantly... if someone *were* to upload an epub which was converted from a PDF, and it passed the quality review, then how would anyone ever know it was originally a PDF? I imagine there must be tons of books published in PDF that will never be published in epub, so it seems a shame.

I don't know a lot about epubs and PDFs so there could be something I don't know. Just wondering.

October 11, 2021, 01:56:00 PM
Reply #1

Las Zenow

• Information
  • Avid reader
  • Chief Librarian
  • You just leave it to the Library.
    • Imperial Library of Trantor
Re: EPUBs converted from PDF
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 01:56:00 PM »
If the book is good quality it doesn't matter if it comes from a PDF or not. We get tons of uploads of automatically converted PDFs to epub with pretty bad quality: paragraphs cut in the middle because line changes of pdf not well detected, footers or headers inserted in the middle of a paragraph, ...

The warning is more about the quality than about coming from a PDF.
Happy reading!!!

October 18, 2021, 01:19:28 PM
Reply #2

sandi

• Information
  • Novice reader
Re: EPUBs converted from PDF
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 01:19:28 PM »
Makes sense. Thanks for confirming. I tried converting a few with Calibre the other day and they came out fine as far as I could tell. I'll double check them for paragraph continuity, etc, and upload when I have time.